Talk to Frank - Honest information about drugs

Substance Misuse Carer Support

About this service

Caring for someone who struggles with substance misuse can be incredibly difficult and isolating due to stigma around the substance. We are here to support you and to help break down these stigmas.

We offer support to family and friends of people who use alcohol or drugs in and around Wandsworth as long as they have a GP in the borough. The service is provided by Wandsworth Carers' Centre and is open to all Wandsworth residents over 18, who are affected by the drug or alcohol use of someone close to them. If you don't live in Wandsworth but the person using substances does, you can also access the service.

We have a dedicated lead for substance misuse who can support you in your caring role and advocate on your behalf if you need help communicating with professional services. Navigating the mental health and substance misuse services can be difficult and when under the pressure that your caring role may put on you it can sometimes be helpful to have another set of eyes and ears to support you.

We offer flexible and holistic support which includes:

  • 1:1 sessions (advice, information and support)

  • Signposting and referrals on to other services

  • Advocacy with support services

  • Bi-monthly information and peer support sessions

  • Support to be involved in the person's treatment and be a part of their recovery

  • Monthly Carer Support Clinic within treatment services WCDAS - St John Hill Therapy Centre

Support can be face to face in our office in Balham, in Treatment services at WCDAS, or another convenient location if you are unable to travel. We also offer telephone support, online support on Zoom or via email, or by out of hours appointments for working Carers.

Referral (how to access this service)

Catchment (areas they serve)

GP of the Carer or Cared for person must be in Wandsworth


Wandsworth Carers Centre, 46 Balham High Rd, Balham, London, Greater London, SW12 9AQ
View on Google Maps
External link

Opening times

Monday to Friday 9.30am - 5pm

Get in touch

Help and advice

What to do in an emergency

If you or someone else needs urgent help after taking drugs or drinking, call 999 for an ambulance. Tell the crew everything you know. It could save their life.

What else to do in an emergency