Skip Navigation

Here you can say what you want, without having to say who you are. Whatever experiences you've had with drugs, it can help to get something off your chest. And you might end up helping someone else. Please read FRANK's disclaimer.

Please check the box below before submitting.
Your story has been submitted for review. Thank you for sharing.
Please wait while data is saving...

My child has been on heroin for years, what can I do?

Skip To Footer Menu
FRANK Advice
30th Jan 2014


Dealing with a son or daughter that has a serious drug problem can be an emotional rollercoaster.

The withdrawal symptoms from heroin can be very severe and craving can continue to be a problem for quite some time. It may take several attempts before your son or daughter successfully breaks their addiction even with medical support. Remember, your son or daughter must WANT to stop using drugs first. There are however, many different methods of treatment and support groups which your son or daughter can use to encourage them. You search online for local treatment and support services or you may it helpful to talk to a FRANK advisor on 0800 77 66 00.

 You may also want to look into support groups for family members. This is a good opportunity for you to voice your feelings and see how others are coping.


3768 people found this helpful
You found this story to be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
Search more faqs

Is there something else you want to know?
Need some advice?

FRANK is not online right now. Please come back between 2pm - 6pm (UK) on any day of the week. You can still:


TEXT 82111

CALL 0300 123 6600



FRANK is not online right now. Please come back between 2pm - 6pm (UK) on any day of the week.