Talk to Frank - Honest information about drugs
0300 1236600

Concerned about a Parent?

Worrying about a parent's drug or alcohol use can be a difficult and unsettling experience. If your parents have a problem with drugs or alcohol, their behaviour might be strange, they might become unreliable and you might be worried them coming to harm or getting in trouble.

Being worried about them in this situation is a normal response and it's important that you know that their alcohol or drug use is not your fault.

If you're worried about a parent, the first thing you should do is talk to someone. This can help you to understand the situation better and might give you an idea of what you could do about it. You could talk to a friend, a relative or an adult you can trust. You could also call Childline on 0800 1111.

There are places you can go to if you want support. There are also services near where you live that can provide free advice and support to your parent. You can find these on FRANK in the get help/support near you.

Remember that you can call FRANK anytime on 0300 123 6600 for confidential advice.

How can I stop my parent drinking or taking drugs?

You can't force your parent to do something that they don't want to, and it isn't your fault if they don't want to stop drinking or taking drugs.

There are local free services that can help. They are used to working with parents and most parents who go to them will get better.

What should I do?

Worrying about a parent's alcohol or drug use is stressful, and how you choose to deal with it is up to you. But it's essential you think of your own safety and wellbeing when you decide on which approach to take. It may be that you need support and/or professional help yourself too.

Remember that you can call FRANK anytime on 0300 123 6600 for confidential advice.