What other substances is cocaine cut with?
Most of the time cocaine is cut to add extra bulk so that the dealer can make more money. Cocaine can be cut with many different substances, some of which can be harmful:
- Food colourings or flavoured powder milk, which gives the cocaine a unique colour.
- Other cheaper stimulants, which provide a cocaine like buzz, e.g. speed, and caffeine.
- Other pain killers and anaesthetics, to simulate the ‘numbing’ effect of cocaine, e.g. lidocaine or phenacetin, which can cause cancers.
- Inert whitish powders, which are inactive, e.g. baking soda.
- Any other whitish powder, which may have unexpected side effects, e.g. laxatives and veterinary worming tablets.