This can lead to you becoming agitated and having bad experiences like anxiety attacks.
aMT was tested as a potential antidepressant in the sixties but there is actually little information about its harms, especially any long-term harm. It’s difficult to know how regular users will be affected if they use the drug for a long time.
There is a slight risk that aMT will react with other medicines and a range of foods to cause dangerous increases in blood pressure (for example, if used with SSRI anti-depressants, some wines and cheeses, or with Bovril or Marmite).
- Euphoria, where people feel very happy and positive
- Increased energy
- Empathy, where people feel very in touch with other people’s feelings
- Altered perceptions (and possible hallucinations, where people may see or hear things that aren’t there)
- You might feel anxious or restless.
- You might feel unwell, vomit or have a headache.
- Your heart may beat very quickly or irregularly which can be dangerous.
- aMT can cause hallucinations which means you may see or hear things that aren’t there. This can sometimes be quite scary, known as a bad trip. Good trips can be amusing and pleasant but you can’t be sure whether you’ll have a good or bad trip.
- You might harm yourself as a result of hallucinations.
- It is easy to overdose on aMT because compared to many other powder drugs, you only need to take a small amount for it to have a substantial effect.
- There is a small possibility that aMT may react with certain medicines and some foods (like certain wines and cheeses, or with Bovril or Marmite). This can cause a dangerous rise in blood pressure.
- We know that some drugs can irritate and damage the lining of the nose, stomach and lungs depending on how they are taken. aMT may cause similar damage but more research is needed to see whether this is the case.
aMT and alcohol
The risks associated with taking any drug increase when you drink alcohol as well. Also, aMT may react with some wines and cause a very dangerous rise in blood pressure – but it is not clear that this would normally occur with the doses being used.
We don’t have any information about the purity of aMT. It may be supplied as a single substance or it may be mixed with other substances to increase the sellers’ profits.
Just because aMT isn’t illegal, doesn’t mean you can be sure of what you are actually buying. The aMT you buy could be mixed with other ‘legal highs’ or an illegal drug; testing of other ‘legal highs’ has shown that they often contain additional substances which are illegal.
aMT has some stimulant effects and so it is possible that it also might be addictive like other stimulants.
Did you know?
- Mixing drugs with driving is illegal and can be very dangerous. It may lead to you having an accident and injuring yourself or your friends.
- You could still be unfit to drive the day after using aMT.
- You can get a heavy fine, be disqualified from driving or even go to prison due if you take aMT and it affects how you drive.