ARE YOU ‘UNDER THE INFLUENCE’?
If you're feeling pressure to take drugs, here's how to deal with it.
- You’re not alone! It’s easy to think you’re the only one who has not experimented with drugs. The reality is that most people your age don’t take drugs and you’re in the majority.
- Work out where you stand on issues like sex, drugs and alcohol. Knowing your own mind makes it easier to stay true to yourself.
- Prepare yourself now by thinking through how you want to respond and behave. It may help to share your thoughts and feelings with someone you trust.
- Try to understand who is offering you the drugs and why – friends should understand if you say no, people you don’t know very well may expect something in return.
- Say no firmly but clearly and without making a big deal about it. If they try to persuade you, don’t feel like you have to change your mind.
- They may not show it, but your mates will respect you more if you’re assertive and clear about what you do and don’t want to do.
- Take a look around – it might not seem like it, but you’re not the only one worrying about what other people think of you. Try to focus on your own opinion of yourself – in the end, that’s all that matters.
- Watch out for your mates - if you’re worried about a friend, don’t keep it to yourself. Talk to them, or someone you trust.
- If you’re finding it hard to be yourself within your group, take a step back, and think about whether it’s time to find a new crowd to hang out with.
- Before trying anything new it makes sense to get the facts straight. For friendly and confidential advice, talk to FRANK on 0300 123 6600 at any time of the day or night.